Why That Small Leak is a Big Problem
There are so many things on your mind. By the time you’ve gone to work, picked up the kids from school, cooked dinner and cleaned the house, that little drip under the kitchen sink is the last thing on your mind. That tiny leak, however, can turn into a much larger ordeal well beyond being a mere inconvenience.
When you think “water damage” you probably imagine it on a large-scale, such as after a flood. Water can ruin floors, walls and furniture and cause thousands of dollars of repair work. What’s also important to think about is the damage that isn’t obvious right away. A leak under the sink or behind the bathtub, even a small one, can cause mold. Black mold is not just ugly. You may have to replace drywall, insulation, and possibly even structural elements of your home. The health concerns are also quite hazardous. According to the EPA, black mold in the home can cause allergic reactions, including eye and nose irritation, asthma, and other respiratory symptoms. Children are particularly susceptible. Mold can begin to grow within 48 hours, so it’s vital to act fast.
Mold spores are insidious, but there is a solution to this potential problem. In order for mold to grow, it requires moisture, warmth, oxygen, darkness, and a food source such as wood or drywall. All of these elements are present in every home, so the only way to manage the growth of mold is to manage the amount of moisture in your home. This can easily be accomplished by maintaining your plumbing through routine inspection, and handling even the smallest plumbing problems right away. As always, A&W Heating and Plumbing is here to help you keep that nasty mold at bay.