If left untreated, an issue with your water main can cause serious damage to your home and your property. While an issue might start with a minor leak, it can soon result in severe water damage. You should seek professional services at the first sign of a problem. Call A & W Plumbing and Heating, Inc. for service the Southern Illinois area.
Do you have a blockage in your drain? You may benefit from professional drain cleaningservices.
Common Water Main Issues
Problems with your main water line can cause severe damage to your property if left untreated. As soon as you notice a problem you should seek professional services. Some issues to watch out for include:
- Holes or cracks: External corrosion from soil or frost can cause holes or cracks to form.
- Pressure: Pressure can cause lines to break, resulting in water flowing out of the pipes and to the surface - including on the street, your lawn, or even the basement of your home. Unfortunately, this can lead to contaminated water in your house, so you must stop using water to be safe..
- Leaky water valve: Leaky valves can be common issues. Contact a professional to repair or replace the valve if you suspect you have a problem.
How to Detect a Leak
Waterline leaks can cause major problems, and quickly, To avoid extensive damage it’s important to detect a leak as soon as possible. Watch for these signs that can signal an issue:
- Mold or mildew on the walls or floor.
- Wet spots on the floors or walls.
- Grass that is lusher than usual. This can indicate a leak that’s providing extra fertilizer to your lawn.
- Running water meter even when the fixtures are turned off.
If you notice any of these signs, contact a professional who can use specialized equipment to detect an issue.
If you suspect you have a leak on your property, don’t delay before seeking help! Read about ourwater leak detectionsolutions and call us today!
Water Main Repair and Replacement Tips
Replacing a main water line can be a large undertaking. When you need repairs or a replacement, it’s important to follow the right steps:
- Call a professional: If you suspect you have an issue, you should call an expert to repair the issue.
- Know the signs for a full replacement: It can be difficult to determine if you need to replace your system. Some signs that can indicate you need a new system installed can be the age of your home and if you’ve had frequent plumbing issues.
- Know your options: Trenchless options can allow you to replace your line without having to dig up your entire yard.
- Be safe: Call 8-1-1 before any work is done on your water line to ensure there are no dangers near the pipes or electrical or gas lines.